As we begin the third trimester of the 2018-19 school year, we're already thinking ahead to 2019-20 and planning for a new calendar.
The Allegan Area Educational Service Agency (AAESA) received a three-year waiver that allows local school districts to start prior to Labor Day. The OPS calendar for next year is complete, with school starting on August 19, 2019. The first three weeks of school will only be four days and all buildings will be closed on the first two Fridays. Additionally, the calendar includes two breaks, from October 21-25 and February 17-21, called Intersessions.
During this time:
- Additional academic support will be available to students who need it, with participation being highly recommended and possibly required. There will be no cost; transportation, breakfast and lunch will be provided.
- Academic enrichment opportunities will be offered for interested students with the cost being similar to our summer programs.
- The academic support and enrichment will be provided by teachers, support staff, administrators and/or professionals from the community.
The Intersession committee has been meeting to develop programming for those two weeks. Parent forums have also been scheduled to give you a chance to hear more about the schedule from Supt. Jeff Haase and to ask questions. The forums will be:
- Tuesday, April 23rd - Alamo Elementary Media Center, 6:30pm
- Wednesday, April 24th - Washington Street Elementary Media Center, 6:30pm
- Thursday, April 25th - Dix Street Elementary Cafeteria, 6:30pm
- Monday, April 29th - Middle School Media Center, 6:30pm
- Tuesday, April 30th - High School Media Center, 6:30pm
Note: article updated 3/11/19